The penalty is for violation of various RBI instructions relating to issuance of Demand Draft/Pay Order by the bank during the period from April 1, 2010 to March 31, 2013.
Way back in 1991, vide Notification No:DBOD.BP.BC.114/C.469 (81)-91 dated 19th April, 1991, Reserve Bank of India, had notified Banks, to issue travellers cheques, demand drafts, mail transfers, telegraphic transfers for Rs. 50,000/- and above by debit to customers accounts or against cheques only and not against cash.
This press release should enable the Banks to further strengthen their internal processes to ensure that there is no slippage of RBI instructions.
- RBI imposes penalty on The Karjan Nagarik Sahakari Bank Ltd., Karjan, District Vadodara (Gujarat) (simplybanking.wordpress.com)
- RBI penalises Karjan Nagrik Sahakari Bank Ltd., Karjan Dist.Vadodara (Gujarat) (simplybanking.wordpress.com)
- RBI cancels Licence of Mahatma Fule Urban Co-operative Bank Ltd., Patoda, Dist. Beed (Maharashtra) (simplybanking.wordpress.com)
- RBI imposes penalty on The Baripada Urban Co-operative Bank Ltd., Baripada, Odisha (simplybanking.wordpress.com)
- Reserve Bank Cancels the Licence of Kasundia Co-operative Bank Ltd., Howrah (West Bengal) (simplybanking.wordpress.com)
- Financial inclusion (subhransu89.wordpress.com)