01) The Launch Date – 19/11/2013: 96th birthday of late Indira Gandhi.
02)The Technology Provider – FIS
03)The All Women Board Members – 01) business graduate sarpanch from Rajasthan, Chhavi Rajawat, 02) Dalit entrepreneur Kalpana Saroj, who turned around a tubes business, 03) retired public banker Nupur Mitra, 04) academic Pakiza Samad, 05) private equity professional Renuka Ramnath, 06) Godrej Group executive Director Tania Dubash and 07) Priya Kumar, a government nominee.
04)Shri M.B.N. Rao, former Chairman, Canara Bank stepped down from the interim Board of Directors
05)Headquarters @ New Delhi,
06)Started operations on 19/11/2013 with seven branches and as many automated teller machines.
07)All state capitals to have a BMB Branch by March 2014.
08)Rate of Interest in SB Accounts – 4.5 per cent on savings account deposits till Rs 1 lakh and 5 per cent above Rs 1 lakh.
09)Apart from the Nariman Point branch in Mumbai, Bharatiya Mahila Bank has six other branches at Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Lucknow and Guwahati.
10) Two other branches, in Delhi and Indore, would be inaugurated in December after the conclusion of state assembly election process there.
11) Currently, all the seven branches of the bank are in urban centres which would be a hindrance, at least in the short-term, in reaching out to rural women.
12) The Election Commission of India on 18 November 2013 has allowed the launch of the first all women Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
13) The government has been asked by the Election Commission not to open its branches in Delhi and Madhya Pradesh and neither do publicity of the bank in these poll-bound states. As it will be the violation of the Model Code of Conduct in force in the two places.
14) BMB’s website – yet to be launched
15) Men account for about 36 percent of the candidates found provisionally eligible for appointment as Probationary Officers in the Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
16) The bank plans to have 25 branches in the next four months and thereafter add about 75 every year
- PM inaugurates Bharatiya Mahila Bank, Sonia attends function (rediff.com)
- All woman bank’s first branch in Lucknow (dnaindia.com)
- India’s first women-only bank now open: top 10 facts (profit.ndtv.com)
- Prime Minister inaugurates Bharatiya Mahila Bank (thehindu.com)