The Maha or Great Kumbh Mela festival in Allahabad will be the biggest religious gathering of humanity on Earth, with up to 100 million pilgrims (1 crore) expected to bath in the holy waters during January and February 2013.
The “mega mela” takes place every 12 years at the confluence of the Ganges and the Yamuna rivers – and the mythical Saraswati.
In the recent past, the Mela is attracting not only religious folks, but also sociologists, with the aim of observing the behavior of the massive crowds.
The Allahabad Kumbh Mela, would have been a great testing ground for new ePayment initiatives. However, it is a bit late for the same.
The next Kumbh Mela will be held in 2015 @ Trimbakeshwar,Nashik. The district administration has already started the preparations for the Kumbh Mela.
As the focus by Reserve Bank of India, Indian central government, Maharashtra state government, is on Electronic Payments, the Nashik Kumbh Mela is a good opportunity to demonstrate the latest ePayment technologies.
As a beginning, all Government payouts should be via the emode only. The vendors too at the Mela site should be encouraged to accept payments in the emode.
A concerted by all the stake-holders can showcase the ePayments capabilities. This would be the best publicity platform.
- India set for Kumbh Mela festival (bbc.co.uk)
- India to host the largest religious event in the world (itv.com)
- VIDEO: India Kumbh Mela festival begins (bbc.co.uk)
- Maha Kumbh 2013: Stage set for the biggest religious gathering (thehindu.com)
- The magic of India’s Kumbh Mela (bbc.co.uk)
- In Pictures: India’s Maha Kumbh Mela festival (independent.co.uk)